Sunday, January 5, 2014

223rd Meeting of the American Astronomical Society

This week I'll be attending the 223rd meeting of the American Astronomical Society.

I've already attended some of the first sessions, specifically a session of the Historical Astronomy Division where a number of presentations examined the early history of our present day notions about the Milky Way and cosmology.  Many of the talks were basically a 'what did they know and when did they know it' re-examination of some popular notions about who contributed what in the development of our modern picture of cosmology.  Some of the presentations may result in revisions in future textbooks.

Some of the things I'm learning will be integrated into a future post.

My poster presentation, in collaboration with Stuart Robbins of  "Exposing PseudoAstronomy", describes more exercises on using crank astronomy theories as teaching tools in the classroom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any chance you could post a link to that presentation?

W.T."Tom" Bridgman said...

The poster doesn't stand well without some more descriptions. I'm fleshing it out into a short paper and will make it available here and at the AAS site.

So...What Happened?

Wow.  It's been over eight years since I last posted here... When I stepped back in August 2015,...